Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Art center intro

Here is your first look at the ASD art center! The kiddos are hard at work and they are putting forth their best efforts with every project. Take a look...

We have a good sized oval rug in the middle of the room where students gather at the beginning of class to receive instructions and directions. Half of the rug is in English and the other half is in Spanish.

Off in the distance is a 3-D sculpture of a human figure. I don't exactly know its purpose... but it adds some nice color and artistic interest to the room. It was created by the previous teacher, Donny Hansen, who is now teaching art in the middle school.

Each class has a maximum of 18 students. Here you can see that we have half of the class on one side of the room, and the other half is behind me in this picture. Carol, my para-pro, and I are able to split the class in half and give closer instruction to each individual student. In the foreground is my work area, which sits in the middle of the room.


It has been a lot of fun getting started with the elementary art class here at ASD. It has taken a little while for me to feel completely comfortable with the position, but I am enjoying every minute of it. My experience with actually teaching art is somewhat limited, so I am learning on the job how to design and implement curriculum and manage an art class. I feel more comfortable with each day passing, and I have a great para-professional helping me with the day to day activities. We have many interesting projects lined up for the kiddos, and I am excited to see how each one materializes. I am already blown away by the display of creativity from grade 5 on down to grade 2. I can't wait to see what this year has in store! If you want to see pictures of student work and keep updated to the activity in the ASD art center, check out my web site dedicated to the class. It is in its beginning stages of development, but there are a few good pics to check out. I will keep it updated as work is completed and new events arise.
Thanks for stoppin' by.
-Isaac

0 comments: