As we were slowing at a stop light on Al Safa road, we noticed a blur of movement between the moving cars. Once we had stopped, we realized it was a kitten on the road. He was terrified, and frantically raced from car to car. As the light turned green we watched him hop up on the tire, 2 vehicles ahead. The cars started moving and I couldn't look. I plastered my hands over my face, certain the kitten would be squished. When I peeked out, I saw the kitten hunkered in the center of the lane- 2 cars had passed over him! I couldn't stand it- I jumped onto the street, just as the tiny ball of fur zipped under the hood of our car. Drivers were honking, and I was flailing my arms to try and relay there was a problem. I raced around the nose of the car, just in time to see the kitten jumping up on the front driver's side tire. I dove as fast as I could, and just barely caught ahold of his tiny tail. You can imagine how thrilled this wild, already panicked kitten was, and as I pulled him out from under the car he turned into a fierce and spastic hissing, spitting, and clawing machine. I frantically searched for a safe place to put him, but I was in the middle standing along a dusty, barren median, dividing six lanes of traffic. The little guy got a few good swipes on my hand, but I held fast, and managed to scruff him, and save myself from further scratches, as I ran back around to the passenger side of the car. I jumped in, and we took off! The kitten, no more than 7 or 8 weeks old, buried his little head in the crook of my arm. It was immediately clear that this kitten was feral, and had probably never encountered a friendly human before. So, there we were, late for school, in the rain, now in the possession of a wild kitten! I called Kristen, and asked her to get a cardboard box ready for me. When we arrived at school, Isaac scoured the back of our car to find something to cover the kitten. Luckily for us, though she might not agree, Allison had left a bag of clothing in our car the previous weekend, and we found a green sweater. I wrapped the kitten up and raced through the hall to my classroom. The students were already seated, wide-eyed with anticipation, and Kristen was holding the box. In went the sweater-wrapped kitten! I placed a heavy binder on top of the box to keep the flap closed. After a quick trip to the nurse to clean up my hand, and running our ridiculous story by the principal to see if I could keep the kitten at the school for the day, I was ready to start teaching! I explained to the students the seriousness of the kitten's frail condition, and emphasized the importance of staying quiet around him, so that he wouldn't be frightened. There has never been a quieter day in my classroom! The kids whispered in low voices as they worked, so not to disturb our little visitor. Perhaps I've stumbled upon a brilliant teaching strategy? The Feral Kitten Silence Plan?!?!? It could work;)
That afternoon I got the number to Feline Friends, a local cat adoption agency and kennel- or so I thought! Turns out they have no kennels, and that all of their adoptable kitties live in foster care. Right now the foster homes are full- period! They offered to pay for the kitten's veterinary care if I would foster him. I swear, I honestly was not trying to keep this kitten, but I couldn't put him back out on the street after our dramatic rescue operation! So, the Marshall's are now foster parents to one of the scrappiest kittens in Dubai, or perhaps the world. He is living in the hall bathroom, and slowly learning we are not enemies. He still spits and puffs up when I enter the room, but as soon as I pick him up he relaxes and purrs. I washed his little crusty face with a warm washcloth last night and he turned into a purring and snuggling machine. What a motor that little guy has! He even rolled onto his back so I could pet his cute little belly. We have an appointment with the vet today to get him checked out and cleaned up. I'm thinking of calling him Al Safa- maybe just Safa, after the street with which he nearly became one...

About an hour after the rescue mission... not happy

Crusty kitty

Before clean up...
he's looking better now, still scrappy, but better!

1 comments:
Jenni, you are an angel! There is a special place in heaven for people like you. Way to look out for the under(dog), er, cat.
Post a Comment